Friday 19 June 2015

More TRC detailing

Reviewing images of THNSW's TRC31299 stored at Broadmeadow which I found on LC1073's flickr site, I decided to add some meat to the underframes. The structural members running from the solebar to the bogie bolsters were an obvious candidate. Webs were made from 0.040" styrene, then plated over with 0.020". In retrospect, I should have had a pair of webs each side of the 0.020: so I could then drill the necessary hole.
The webs added. In frustration with bogies repeatedly falling off one TRC, I had put "just a drop" of cement on the pins. There was no way the joint would subsequently let go when I wanted to remove the bogies, resulting in the pin failing instead! Oh well, nothing a drill won't fix...

Adding the flat plate. These will need a little filing at the bolster end to get everything nice and flat again. Pencil writing indicates position of brake cylinder & air tank, and orientation of cylinder. Similar marks on the sides were made to position hand brake, door bumpers, waybill clip and lamp irons.

Pads for mounting the brake cylinder. These are laminated from 0.020" & 0.010" to get the surface just proud of the solebar.

The next task will be pieces of channel for the air tanks, then drill the holes for mounting the cylinders and tanks. Not sure how keen I am prepared to get with pipework. Copper wire will be too flexible for the long unsupported runs, will have to see what I have in the way of brass or phosphor-bronze. I have drilled all the lamp iron & brake hose holes, but not much point trying to post a pic of 0.5mm holes in white plastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment