Thursday 29 September 2016

Shelf life

Early in the month we visited the St. Peter's Anglican School for their annual fete. The Macarthur District MRC had their layout there, which featured some nice new SCTs.
Motivated by this, and with Alison & Kate at a church do in the evening, Brendan asked if we could work on putting the kadees onto my original Minimodels single deckers. Here he is doing his first kadee install.

 
The bulkheads & H bars were details added for me by Roy Howarth many years ago. He also opened some of the doors, and put ads on the bulkhead windows.
 
Alison & the kids are away again, visiting Italy, Greece & Turkey, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunities this presents.
First up was a slide night for a mixed group of modellers and grumpy gunzels. This saw 4101 and a BPV visit Rico on the Rio Grande Southern, on Brendan's layout. Another visitor was a blue round-top pig.

 
 
The slide night was followed by a return to the garage with a view to commencing bench work for Weddin Jct. However, I decided to improve the work facilities first, by re-purposing the remaining base boards from Yabbie Ck as work bench and shelves.


 Initial phase, adding legs to the old modules from the base of the U-shaped Yabbie Creek layout.


 I obtained a second 250x200x25 bracket to match one I had in the bits box:


 I propped everything up while I adjusted the position of the shelves and finalised the fixing points:



 Now I just need to bolt down the various key bits of machinery. There doesn't appear to be a good spot for my little bench grinder - might need to take over some more real estate in the garage!

 

Now looking forward to a bit of gunzelling at Streamliners on Saturday / Sunday, and the Great  (model) Railway Bazaar on Monday (apologies to Paul Theroux!). Seriously, check the floor plan on the AMRA web site ... it's 75% commercial stands!

Cheers,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment